EPRUMA welcomes European Parliament’s sustained support to protect animal health and welfare
Brussels, 23 June 2022: Despite continued attempts by some MEPs to undermine the scientific assessment of the EU’s agencies, the European Parliament plenary again voted to ensure that veterinarians retain access to specific life-saving treatments for both farm and companion animals. Public health cannot be ensured if animal health and welfare is at risk.
Today’s vote showed once again that the majority of the MEPs support the EU’s One Health approach and trust in the scientific advice of the EU agencies in addressing the challenge of antimicrobial resistance.
EPRUMA now looks to the European Parliament to support the implementation of wider EU policies supporting animal health and welfare built on the scientific advice of the EU’s agencies, and seeking a balance for the protection of human and animal health, as well as our environment.
Contact: EPRUMA secretariat – firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for editors:
EPRUMA is a multi-stakeholder platform linking best practice with animal health and public health. It aims to ensure best practice through responsible use of medicines in the prevention and control of animal diseases.
- Access VetMed: European Group for Generic Veterinary Products
- AnimalhealthEurope: The voice of the animal medicines industry
- COPA-COGECA: European Farmers and Agri-Cooperatives
- Diagnostics for Animals
- FECAVA: Federation of European Companion Animal Veterinary Associations
- FEFAC: European Feed Manufacturers Federation
- FESASS: European Federation for Animal Health and Sanitary Security
- FVE: Federation of Veterinarians of Europe
Associate partners (National Responsible Use platforms):
- AMCRA: Centre for Expertise on Antimicrobial Consumption and Resistance in Animals (Belgium)
- RUMA: Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture Alliance (United Kingdom)
- RUMA Companion Animal and Equine (United Kingdom)
- SDa: Veterinary Medicines Institute (The Netherlands)
- VETRESPONSABLE: Platform for the Responsible Use of Medicines in Animals (Spain)